HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Spodding or Spombing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carpio
Admin

PostSubject: Spodding or Spombing   Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 am

I have always been a Spodder, but everyone i speak to that has tried the Spomb says its a must.

Is Spombing so much better than spodding, any converted Spodders shed some light onto the beauty of the Spomb.
Back to top Go down
http://www.carpfishingforum.co.uk
matt the mouth

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 am

i always used a spod for a long time, since last year i have been on the spomb and have never looked back,i can use particle with nothing to bind it so it dont come out, also boilies come out better,i can use hemp on its own and have no spillage,to me the spod is history my old ones are in the cupboard,so get on the spom once you try it there will be no going back trust me.
Back to top Go down
Carpio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:18 am

Matt, how does the disturbance on the water compare to spodding is the spomb less, more or bout the same, and also out of interest, on the retrieve does it come in smoother than a spod, i have to admit I still struggle to keep the spod up on the surface the whole way in when retrieving from a far distance out.
Back to top Go down
TomDickens

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:57 am

The Spomb makes an almighty crash on the surface of the lake, depending on your lake/situation this could be a good thing on a highly stocked venue as the fish will associate the disturbance as a free meal almost like a dinner bell. On a lake with a smaller stock of fish where competing for food isn't really necessary the disturbance may spook them off your spot. With a little thought this can be overcome by baiting up in quieter periods when you know the fish aren't in the swim. The Spomb has brought a lot of benefits to my angling as i need beds of hemp in tight area's and if i was using a Spod i would have spillage all over my swim which isn't ideal when i'm trying to draw them onto my hookbaits. I hope this helps. TIGHT LINES!
Back to top Go down
TomDickens

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:58 am

Also, due to the lightweight structure of the Spomb it skips across the surface a lot quieter and quicker than a Spod in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
matt the mouth

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 pm

your right it does crash a lot more but once ive baited up at the start of my session i would switch to the mini spomb to add a bit more after a catch,and the spomb does come in better than a spod.
Back to top Go down
matt the mouth

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:23 pm

and also the spomb is more accurate than the spod, hits the spot bang on even at long range.
Back to top Go down
matts

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 am

im a spoder and have always stuck to it ive tried the spom but i must say that im bang in to the old school way of carping i like the way the spom u dont lose any bait what so ever but the spod i think is better for me on my lakes and the way i fish it seems to be better in my catch rate im not knocking the spom in any way just my opinion that i prefer the good old spod
Back to top Go down
matts

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:26 am

i forgot to say that with a spod i can hit the target at long range when i say this im talking 110 yards and ill hit the spot but i like to vary the size of aria that im spoding to keep the carp on the move and grubbing about the baits till they come in contact with my hook bait im not one for putting a load of bait on a dustbin lid at 80 or 90 yards ide rather it be over the size of half a tennis court size works for me
Back to top Go down
Nash Adam

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:25 am

Started to spomb towards the end of last year but have returned to the faithful spod.

The spod is a massive part of the way I fish, and althouth I appreciate the spomb would mean that no bait was spilt, i've been happy with my results and the amount of bait that's been getting out to the spot, so why change?

If anything the spomb may mean i end up with too much bait in the swim.

Back to top Go down
http://www.nashtackle.co.uk/consultantlisting.php?consultantid=3
fat_jay

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:38 am

I love the spomb! On the lake i am currently angling, the gulls are a nightmare, the sound of a catty or throwing stick has them in a frenzy in front of you, spombing makes baiting easy.
They can be noisy compared to laying a spod down on the surface, but i have found, with a spomb, if you aim to hit your clip a couple of feet above the surface of the water, and then rapidly drop your rod tip creating slack braid, the spomb will drop nose first for the last couple of feet, and touch down far more quietly
The timing takes a little practice, but well worth the effort
Back to top Go down
Carpio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:22 am

fat_jay wrote:
On the lake i am currently angling, the gulls are a nightmare, the sound of a catty or throwing stick has them in a frenzy in front of you, spombing makes baiting easy

Yeah Jay, that makes sense, i've been on a few waters, where I swear the gulls are so switched onto the noise of cattys its near impossible to bait up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spodding or Spombing   

Back to top Go down

Spodding or Spombing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Main Carp Forum :: Carper Chat-
Jump to:  

Advertise Your Products or Services With Us - Click Here